Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Not So, but Kinda, Extreme Coupon Shopping Trip

Okay... a couple months ago, I was told by my co-worker and my husband, at two completely separate times, that I would make a fantastic "extreme couponer." Whaaat!?! I had never heard of it before. Andy said I should watch the show. There's a SHOW!?! I was in complete and utter disbelief. No way had I never heard of this before.... He explained to me what these people do. Hmmm, I thought. I was kinda upset that they would think this way of me. No, no, no, they explained. It's a good thing. It's your, um, controlling, no, that's not the right word, um... anal personality that makes it a good thing. WHAAAT!!! Now I was really pissed. But alas I was curious, so I watched the show. Oh-em-gee... These people are NUTS! I could never, nor ever want to, devote that much time and effort into shopping. Un-uh. Not happening. Oh, just collect coupons and give it a try, Andy says. You never know.... Okay fine. I'll collect coupons. I'll shop "frugally." But I will not be THAT extreme, I said. So over the course of the next 2 months, I collected those coupons. Every Sunday, my darling mother brought me her coupons out of the Sunday paper. I went online and signed up for weekly coupons, from big name companies. I also kept all the ones from my mailbox without throwing them away. Then, I used my paper trimmer (yes, I already had one) to cut out those wonderful "money saving" pieces of paper. End result? Check out the picture below.
It might not look like it but that's $252.37 worth of items. 66 items to be exact. After coupons, my total came to $81.77. That's about $1.21 per item. In the end, the bottom line was I saved $170.60!!! Not too shabby. And thankfully not as "extreme" as those crazies I see on the show. I will actually use all of the items I purchased within the next few months. This is not some crazy stockpile (as you can see) like those guys. Uh huh. See, I'm sane... somewhat. :o)

No comments: